Summer is on its way…. But be careful you don’t get burnt and we don’t mean “Sunburn”!
When it comes to home insurance, many of us incorrectly insure our home or don’t get the cover that we think we are getting! In order to get the cover you want, just follow these few simple rules.
- Ask for a household policy in English (how do you know what cover you have if you cannot read the policy)
- Security discounts…. Don’t get caught out by being given security discounts when your house doesn’t comply with the full security. E.g Not all your windows have the security bars, yet you have been given a security discount. Your insurers may not pay out if you have a claim!
- Correct information – Check you have been insured on the correct type of property, eg a detached house in the country, not an apartment in an urbanisation
- Check the cover provided. Are pools covered? Are outside buildings covered? Are garden contents covered? Are annexes covered? What excesses are on the policy? It is all well and good being given a low price, but check that the cover is on a par with your existing policy. Be wary of companies offering Free Home policies if you take out your car insurance! Some of these policies are offering very poor cover and until you claim, you won’t know!
- Also, you don’t have to pay a fortune to have a good policy. Don’t be fooled into thinking because you have paid a lot of money for your insurance, the policy is going to be good. Be wary of the banks, their premiums can be very high, but their policies don’t always offer you the cover which you think you are getting.